CARAMELIZED BLUEBERRY JAM WITH TELLY JUSTICE, HAGS
1 min read
Today Telly Justice — Co-Founder of HAGS, NYC, by Queer people for all people turns up the volume on Samascott Orchards Blueberries with her recipe for Caramelized Blueberry Jam. Deft touches like brown butter and a splash of grain vinegar play on the warm, complex flavor of these berries – one taste and you’ll understand why they’re on a level of their own.
CARAMELIZED BLUEBERRY JAM
187g Samascott Blueberries
200g light muscovado sugar
10g grain vinegar
Zest of 1 lemon
Chewy corn ice cream, fresh blueberries & flowering basil
1. In a bowl, mix the blueberries with 100g sugar, glucose, vinegar, lemon zest and salt. Let this mixture macerate for 20 mins.
2. Brown the butter. Pour the browned butter over the blueberries as they macerate.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the water with the remaining 100g Sugar until mostly dissolved. Very carefully pour into a sauce pot, making sure not to splash the sides. Heat over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Do not stir unless it seems absolutely necessary. Once the sugar is perfectly bubbly and aromatic, pour over the blueberries and stir to combine.
4. Mix everything together in a sauce pot. Stirring occasionally, bring this mixture to a boil. Drop to below a simmer and let cook until it is the texture of loose jam, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Remove from heat and purée in a blender or food processor. Pour into a tray to cool.
5. Once cool enough to handle, it is ready to serve! I like to eat this jam with some yummy ice cream. Pictured we have it plated with our chewy corn ice cream, more fresh blueberries and flowering basil. Enjoy!
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.