MANGO-INFUSED COCKTAILS WITH MONICA BERG, TAYĒR + ELEMENTARY
2 min read
Monica Berg — one of the world’s most celebrated bartenders. With a distinctive adventurous style, she brings seasonality to the London bar scene at Tayēr + Elementary in Shoreditch. Monica is making the most of Pietro’s Sicilian Mango - or Martina's Mangoes in the US - incorporating the skin and flesh into her infusions and giving us three cocktail options. Start your prep early – you’ll need 48 hours for these infusions.
Etna Mango Old Fashioned, Bamboo & Highball
3 Sicilian Mangoes
1 Bottle Maker’s Mark Bourbon
1 Bottle Tio Pepe Fino Sherry
1 Bottle Noilly Prat Original Dry Vermouth
1 Bottle Angostura Bitters
100ml Filtered Water
100ml Soda Water
1. Slice the mangoes lengthways on both sides of the stone. Score the flesh into cubes, taking care not to cut through the skin. Push the scored mango to gently slice off the cubes. Do not discard the skin, you’ll need it later.
2. Cut off the remaining flesh from around the stone. Weigh all the flesh and split it into two equal portions.
3. In an airtight container, combine one portion of mango and 1 Bottle of Maker’s Mark Bourbon. Leave to infuse at room temperature for 48 hours before straining through a mousseline cloth or coffee filter. Discard the mango, and pour the Bourbon back into the bottle.
4. Combine your second portion of mango with the same amount of sugar, stir and put in an airtight container at room temperature for 24 hours. The sugar will begin to extract the liquids from the mango. After 24 hours, add 100ml of filtered water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Strain through a mousseline cloth; this is your Mango Syrup. No need to discard the mango - try it on top of yogurt!
5. Gather all the mango skins and trimmings in an airtight container and combine it with 1 bottle of Tio Pepe Fino Sherry. Leave to infuse for 48 hours in the fridge. Strain through a mousseline cloth. Discard trimmings, and pour the sherry back into the bottle – store in the fridge until use.
#1 Etna Mango Old Fashioned
50ml Etna Mango infused Maker’s Mark Bourbon
5ml Etna Mango Syrup
1 dash of Angostura Bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice, strain into a chilled rocks glass with ice.
#2 Etna Mango Bamboo
30ml Noilly Prat Original Dry Vermouth
30ml Etna Mango infused Tio Pepe Fino Sherry
2.5ml Etna Mango Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir in a mixing glass with ice, strain into a pre-chilled coupe.
#3 Etna Mango Highball
55ml Etna Mango infused Tio Pepe Fino Sherry
5ml Etna Mango Syrup
100ml Soda Water
Build in highball glass with ice. Top up with Soda water.
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.