JAPANESE CUCUMBER SNACK OR SIDE WITH HALO PEREZ-GALLARDO, LIL' DEB'S OASIS
2 min read
Halo brings their ‘more is more’ style to this punchy cucumber dish, perfect as a snack or side as the weather heats up. Steve’s Japanese Cucumbers are grown on trellises. Hanging above ground, they form long, thin bodies with reduced moisture content and concentrated flavor. Their crunchy flesh serves as the ideal carrier for a hit of salt, sugar and spice from the Peanut Sauce and Tropical Gomasio. Sauce and Gomasio can be prepped ahead of time. Keep some handy to add a quick kick of flavor to other dishes.
Lani’s Japanese Cucumbers with Green Peanut Sauce and Tropical Gomasio
1 lb Japanese Cucumbers, rinsed and cut lengthwise
For the Gomasio:
1/2 cup desiccated coconut, toasted
1/8 cup white sesame, toasted
1/4 cup black sesame, toasted
1 tbsp whole pink peppercorn
2 sheets nori, toasted and crumbled
3 tbsp dried rose petals, crushed
2 tsp Maldon or another flakey salt
For the peanut sauce:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 cup parsley leaves, packed
1/2 cup dill (stems ok), packed
1. For the gomasio, combine half the black and white sesame seeds, coconut, and pink peppercorn in a mortar or sturdy bowl.
2. Pound and press with a pestle (or the end of a rolling pin) until a crumble forms, but don’t over-crush into a fine powder. Add remaining sesame seeds, crushed nori, rose petals and maldon, mixing together. When ready to serve, spread the gomasio out onto a flat surface like a sheet tray or plate, or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
3. For the peanut sauce, combine all ingredients and blend in a food processor until a smooth paste forms. When ready to serve, pour into a small bowl or store in an airtight container for up to five days.
4. To plate, dip each piece of cucumber three quarters of the way into the peanut salsa, then gently roll in gomasio until thoroughly coated and the salsa is completely obscured by the gomasio.
5. Arrange on a platter and drizzle with good olive oil or chili oil.
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.