DELICA PUMPKIN FLATBREAD WITH ANGUS KITCHIN, FKA BLACK AXE MANGAL
3 min read
Angus Kitchin — Head Chef at FKA Black Axe Mangal, London's Highbury Corner’s small restaurant with big character.
Outwardly low-key but inwardly loud, you’ll be queuing to sit down at FKA BAM’s. We dropped in to see Angus who took us through their classic flatbread, topped with Oscar’s Delica Pumpkin, Ricotta Mustia, Guindilla Chillies, and Wonderful Pomegranate. Rich pumpkin, salty ricotta, sweet pomegranate and spicy peppers — these are flavor combinations to return to again and again.
Angus roasts Oscar’s Mantuan Delica with garlic to make a flavor-dense base to smear over the flatbread and char. It’s a purée you can get creative with. Don’t stop with flatbread toppings — Angus recommends using it as the base for soups, a filling or sauce for pastas or spread on bread as part of a really good sandwich.
DELICA PUMPKIN FLATBREAD
For the flatbread:
FKA BAM’s flatbread is adapted from a recipe given to Lee by Chad Robinson of Tartine Bakery. Easy to make, but you will need to start your prep two days ahead. Once you have the flatbread dough, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days, to use when you need. Makes 8-9 flatbreads.
For the poolish (starter):
10g fresh yeast
100g whole wheat flour
100g plain flour
For the dough
327g plain flour
190g strong white bread flour
190g strong whole wheat bread flour
7g fresh yeast
225ml whole milk
For the base:
1 whole Delica Pumpkin
Half a Butternut Squash
10-12 cloves of garlic
Half a cup of extra virgin olive oil
A drizzle of neutral oil
For the garnish (enough of each to pile on the flatbread):
Senia extra virgin olive oil
Natoora smoked chili flakes
Picked mint leaves
For the flatbread:
Go to Gozney’s video tutorial with FKA BAM’s owner Lee Tiernan who takes us through this ‘cornerstone recipe’ for flatbread.
For the toppings:
1. Peel and deseed the Delica, then chop into fairly large, roughly equal sized pieces.
2. In a suitable tray add the pumpkin, oils and garlic cloves and season fairly liberally with salt.
3. Cover the tray with aluminium foil and roast for 30-40 minutes at around 200°C until the pumpkin is soft and yielding.
4. Uncover the tray and roast under the flame (or on the broil setting of a domestic oven) until the pumpkin is just beginning to colour and the garlic has turned a rich chestnut brown.
5. Allow the roasted Delica to cool slightly and then puree in a food processor.
Build and serve:
6. Pat out a flatbread dough to a suitable size and spread a few spoonfuls of the mix over the top of the bread.
7. Transfer to the oven (or a pizza stone for a domestic oven) and bake until the crusts have risen and lightly charred.
8. Transfer the flatbread to a plate and dress with the seeds & oil, guindillas and crumbled ricotta.
9. Shred the mint leaves over the top and finish with a good pinch of smoked chilli.
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.