CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH ANNA TRATTLES & ALICE QUILLET, TEN BELLES
2 min read
This Chocolate Cake with Ganache is a simple way of showcasing the flavor of the 70% Cru Virunga Chocolate from Original Beans. Not currently on the menu, but certainly a mainstay at the café, to know this cake is to love it. Anna says that once it is made, it can keep for up to three days in an airtight container, but it is unlikely that it will last that long.
Original Beans’ 70% Virunga Chocolate has notes of cherry and black tea, which are well supported by the addition of espresso to the batter. Ten Belles uses Virunga in all other chocolate applications at the bakery, from cookies and cakes to hot chocolate; its versatility, quality and transparent sourcing are what sets it apart.
Anna mentions that this chocolate is particularly forgiving, meaning that it incorporates well without too much fuss over temperatures; however, the ganache topping should be made for immediate use as it spreads best at this point.
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache, made with Original Beans 70% Cru Virunga
Makes 1 cake
For the cake:
75g chocolate (Virunga 70%)
100g boiled water
Half a single shot espresso
80g melted butter
90g / 2 medium size eggs
300g caster sugar
165g flour (plain or a mixture of plain and wholemeal flours)
4g / 1 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
For the ganache:
100g single cream
150g chocolate (Virunga 70%)
a pinch of salt
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C.
2. Line a baking tin (approximately 28x8cm) with greaseproof paper.
3. Pour the just boiled water, the espresso and melted butter over the chocolate and stir until everything is well incorporated and smooth.
4. Whisk in the yoghurt and the eggs.
5. Add the dry ingredients in two batches, mixing in between until smooth.
6. Pour the cake mix into the lined cake tin and bake for 35 mins @ 180 degrees C or until the cake bounces back when lightly prodded. It's very important not to be tempted to open the oven door whilst the cake is baking as it could sink in the middle.
7. Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the cake tin and slathering with ganache.
For the ganache:
8. Heat up the cream until it reaches boiling point, then pour it directly over the chocolate and the salt and whisk until it's smooth and shiny. You can use the ganache immediately but it also holds for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.