CHERRY CROSTATA WITH ZÉLIKHA DINGA-BERRAMDANE, CARO DIARIO
2 min read
Zélikha Dinga — Private Chef at Caro Diaro, Paris, makes food look as good as it tastes — and vice versa. She puts together recipes, dishes and dinners inspired by Italy for Paris’ chicest events. In her own words, her cooking is simple: she loves good ingredients.
For the crostata dough:
90g icing sugar
4g sea salt flakes
140g softened butter
30g ground almonds
For the cherry jam:
300g pitted cherries
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 vanilla pod
For the sage pastry cream:
2/3 sage leaves
Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
60g egg yolks (around 3)
For the crostata:
400g pitted cherries
1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Add the egg, followed by the flour, cornflour, icing sugar and ground almonds.
3. Mix together until well combined.
4. Wrap the dough in film and leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
5. Remove from the fridge and roll out. Place in a well-greased and lined crostata tin. Leave to rest for another hour in the fridge.
6. Perforate the dough base with a fork and blind bake with baking beans for around 30 minutes, at 350 degrees.
7. Allow to cool and place to rest.
1. Halve the vanilla pod and remove the seeds (keep the seeds for the pastry cream). Place with the cherries and sugar to infuse for a few hours.
2. Transfer to a saucepan. Cook the cherries and sugar over a medium heat until it bubbles, then simmer on a low heat for around 30 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice at the end of cooking.
4. Let it cool.
Sage pastry cream:
1. Infuse the milk with vanilla seeds and sage leaves for at least 1 hour.
2. Remove the vanilla seeds and sage leaves before heating the milk.
3. Beat together the sugar, with egg yolks and cornflour.
4. Pour the hot milk over the sugar, egg yolk and cornflour mixture and mix vigorously.
5. Pour into a saucepan and mix together. Place on the heat. At the first boil, remove from the heat and add the butter.
6. Cover with film and refrigerate until cold.
Assembling the crostata:
Place a layer of cherry jam onto the bottom of the tart.
Whisk the pastry cream to soften it, and add a layer onto the jam with a spoon or piping bag. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Before serving, heat two generous tablespoons of cherry jam and mix with the cherries. Drain for half an hour. Add these onto the pastry cream layer and keep refrigerated before serving.
We exist to fix the food system.
People are more cut off from the origins of their food than ever. This makes flavor, nutrition and farming practices that protect the planet, almost impossible to find.
By working directly with growers, we create a more sustainable way forward for farming. By giving everyone the tools to understand the power of our food choices, we empower everybody to become drivers of change.
Now is the time for action. Join the food system revolution.
Go beyond four seasons
Each fruit and vegetable has its own season, with subtle shifts which happen every day. Follow their microseasons to unlock flavor at every stage.
WHAT’S IN SEASON?
Know where your food comes from
We know the name of the person behind everything we source. Recognize their growing artistry to find out exactly where your food comes from (and why that matters).
MEET THE GROWERS
Make your diet diverse
Our growers work with varieties chosen for quality and nutrition, not yield. By selecting their crops you keep heritage seeds in play, add to ecosystem biodiversity and preserve unique flavors.